Saturday, May 15, 2010

Saturday Morning Eastern Market Fun


The Eastern Market is truly a Detroit institution. A Farmer's Market which has been operating since 1891, it is a six block bazaar of over 250 merchants. The market always has an amazing selection of produce, jams, honey, baked goods, meat, nuts, flowers, plants, and food vendors. If you're interested, just hop on 75 and take the Mack exit to Russel. I recommend getting there early if you're coming from outside the city limits, as when I was leaving the market at around 9:30 am, cars were already stacked up a half mile back waiting to get off at Mack. You can get more info at the Detroit Eastern Market website.
My herbs from Easter Market are already 8 inches high!
 I had a great time this morning, even though its plant month. Plant month is May, and it means most of the vendors are selling flowers and plants, and most of the patrons are dragging around wagons which you have to watch out for. I still found plenty of produce and whatnot to buy.
 The first purchase I made was a pretzel roll from Zingerman's, but I ate that, so you don't get a picture. I also bought some herbs, which were a pretty good deal at $1 a plant. Much better than the $1 mini pots and seed kits I bought in the Target clearance section. My poor oregano looks anemic, and my tomatoes and strawberry seeds never grew. I bought two basil plants, a peppermint plant, and an Italian parsley plant. Then, very conveniently, on the way back to my car I bought a nice $5 pot from the Potter Man to put them in.
Bitty Baby Oregano from Target
 As you can see, I bought a few other things as well...

 Whole wheat bread, rhubarb, strawberries, and honey!
 That bread is cool, because the proceeds go to Gleaner's food bank. On average, each loaf generates enough profits to make 6 meals for needy people. At $5 for a whole wheat loaf (they had others fancy flavors too like tomato basil and cranberry walnut) I thought a loaf of bread that also benefited a good cause was a great deal.
 Super ripe and beautiful rhubarb and strawberries. I have plans for you....

And then of course I got honey, which was primarily the reason I went. I got this raw unfiltered Michigan clover honey from my Honey Man, who I met and bought some jars of honey from last fall when I first went to Eastern Market. Thank goodness he was there again! His name is Pat Brady, and he is always set up on a little table in the shed near the welcome center, on an end near the Market Restaurant I believe. I just wander around until I find him. He always lets you taste the different honeys, and he usually has a few different varieties. Today he had some clover, some buckwheat, I think some honeysuckle and some Orange Blossom honey, which was really really good, but not from Michigan. He takes his bees down to Florida for the winter as he informed me. I went all the way to Eastern Market for honey, because since I bought his honey last fall, my allergies haven't been as bad. Now, who knows, it may be coincidence, but he even said that people take the unfiltered honey for allergies, and I've heard that from other people too. That its like a natural allergy shot. So I got some, and its delicious, and I am soooo happy.

I recommend that everyone who lives in Michigan, or visits Michigan, make a stop at the Eastern Market. Its an experience you don't want to miss!

1 comment:

David said...

I shop eastern market nearly every week, bringing home a large amount of fruits, veggies, nuts and other goods for very reasonable prices. Besides the market itself, I shop many of the other storefronts lining the market, like Rocky's, Devries, Germack, Gabriel imports and one of my favs, Al's seafood, and some of the meat providers.