Sunday, May 16, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

 Guess what! It's Spring! And that means Rhubarb! I've actually never cooked or baked with Rhubarb.But, I've been meaning too since it seems to be all over the blogsphere and very a very popular springtime veggie. If you'll notice, its on my to-do list. And I've had rhubarb jam and really liked it, so I decided I'd give the tart little veggie a whirl. But I didn't feel like making a pie, so I made a crumble. They're so super tasty anyways. So I picked up a very fresh batch at Eastern Market yesterday, hunted down a recipe, and set to work.

 Mixing up the topping. I happen to have some measuring spoons that were gifts at a cousin of mine's wedding. I feel it is very appropriate that my brown sugar is measured out in little hearts.
 Oh hello fruit. Super tasty, super fresh and ripe rhubarb and strawberries. Plus a handful of raisins because I really like raisins. Probably all that concentrated fructose. YUM.
Look at all that topping!! Thanks Smitten Kitchen!! I love plenty of topping with my crumble, don't you?



 Wa la! Gorgeous, bubbly, browned crumble, fresh out of the oven. Quick! For your own safety, go fold laundry or take a stroll around the block so you don't suffer 3rd degree burns in your mouth trying to devour this straight out of the oven.

Ok, so crumble is pretty annoying to photograph. But, I think this turned out quite well. Look at those glistening, juicy chunks of strawberry and rhubarb, and all that crumbly, sugary, crisp topping. MmmMMmmMmmm.


Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble
Inspired by Smitten Kitchen

TOPPING
1 1/3 c. whole wheat flower
1 tsp. baking powder
3 tbs. sugar
3 tbs. brown sugar
splash lemon juice
1 stick butter, melted

FILLING
1 1/2 c. rhubarb
1 quart plus a few strawberries
splash lemon juice
1/2 c. sugar
2 tbs. corn starch, 1 tbs. flour
generous handful of raisins

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix topping ingredients until clumpy.
  2. Toss topping ingredients in greased 9" baking dish.
  3. Cover fruit thickly and evenly with topping. Place baking dish on baking sheet and bake 45 minutes.

No comments: