Saturday, May 15, 2010

25K! I did it!


First of all, its in Western Michigan, which I'm always excited about. Western Michigan is gorgeous, it's where my parents live, and its where I went to college. So I'm always looking for an excuse to do events out there. Also, its usually cool the first week in May ie it was about 40 degrees and overcast, with a few misting showers Saturday morning, which to me is perfect running weather (race announcer man said they have had problems with heat though too - welcome to Michigan weather!). 

Second, its been run for like 3 decades, and its the USA Track 25K championships, so you are guaranteed that they run a quality event. There were aid stations every 1.5 miles with water, gatorade, ice, porta potties and first aid. After mile 8 there were also orange slices at the aid stations. And there was my favorite energy gel, Gu at miles 6 and 12. There were also some lovely course entertainment - high school cheer squads to cheer you on, DJs to pump you up, and some great spectator cheering sections.

Third, the course. is. perfect. Its flat and downhill most of the way. There were a few little baby roller hills between miles 9-13, but if there were any uphills anywhere else, I didn't notice them, and I would, cause I'm not a climber. Its also a beautiful course. You start right downtown in front of DeVos place, and then run out of town along the river. The start in the city is fun, and then you run out through a little bit of industrial area, and then its smooth sailing along a smoothly paved road, through woods and along the river. Then you cross the river, and run back through some wetland nature park type area along the river, through some neighborhoods, and back through downtown to the finish. 

Fourth, the finish. Its so fun to finish downtown in a big circus of crazy runner enthusiasts. There are some great post-race refreshments - I had water and two cinnamon raisin bagel nuggets courtesy of Panera, but I skipped the bananas, granola bars, and yogurt. I also skipped the Michelob Ultra and Buffalo Wild Wings post race tent with free beer for participants :-) But I did hit up the gorgeous Grand Rapids YMCA which provided free hot, individual showers (and towels!!) to race participants. I can't tell you how good that shower felt. To me, that's the biggest downside of most Tris I do. You're hot, sweaty, dirty and smelly, and you gotta get back in your car and drive, when all you want is a shower and to go out to eat!

So, all in all, I LOVED this race. I had such a great time, and was clear under my goal time. I look forward to doing it again next year, and hope you'll join me! But sign up early, because even though 20,000+ people take part in the event, registration sells out before race day, so sign up early!
Ta da! I did it! :-D



Tangent #1: I have discovered an amazing thing. Amazing. Can't believe I suffered so long, it is so simple, cheap and has been in my house all along. BAKING SODA PEOPLE!! 2 Tablespoons in the wash

 Tangent #2: We all know that exercise is important for good health, but just how important is it? Well, I could go on and on and on and on about the benefits of physical activity for health (read PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, not dieting - you gotta get movin!). But for a Clif's notes version that should get you motivated to move, check this out.

No comments: