Monday, April 12, 2010

Tasty Treats for my Tri Team...aka Recovery Cookies

If you give a triathlete or tri coach a cookie, word will get around. And then everyone else on the team will want some treats. Which is fine with me! I have a food blog, and I need eaters! I hope I've found some. 

So, word got out that I was a bit of a baker. ie I made some cookies for my coach and one of the other lab assistants, and some of the guys on the team found out. They were all like "where are my cookies?" and I was all like "well, I'll get you some."  So here they are.
Why hello bowls of deliciousness. These bowls hold the mix ins for my version of the Momofuku Milk Bar Compost cookie. Everyone knows this recipe, its been floating around. I got my recipe on Amateur Gourmet. I used chopped up Milky Way, Twix, Kit Kat, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, M&Ms and Resses pieces as my chosen favorite baked goods. For my snack food mix ins, I chose pretzel sticks and graham crackers.
As you can see, they spread a bit. All my cookies spread. I think its my baking sheets, or baking soda not kept in an air tight container or something. But these turned out decently thick. I thought they were a little salty, so I'll probably omit the kosher salt next time. But they were still just crazy good. And my coach said they were "really delicious" which is high praise from him. Other people were eating them, and seemed pretty excited. I missed the last two big group rides tonight, so maybe they'll be more response later this week.
I also made healthy vegan chocolate cupcakes. I made these because I know at least one of the women on the team is vegan. I was inspired by a recipe my mom makes for cupcakes using chocolate cake mix, pumpkin pie filling, and chocolate chips. These I made with chocolate cake mix and lite applesauce. They turned out AMAZING! I used cinnamon apple sauce, so they're really light, fluffy, moist, appley and cinnamony. And pretty healthy. I've calculated that they're about 108 calories a cupcake, low in sugar and fat, with some fiber and vitamins.
Finally, I made good ol' sugar cookies in team colors - GREEN! I got the recipe off of Cookie Madness, and they were pretty good. A little crumbly, but with a good taste. 

Not only did I give them to my tri team, but I made an assortment for the guys that work in the bike shop. I'm trying to butter them up, and get them to talk, or smile, or do something besides scowl silently. 

Hopefully everyone liked my baked goods, so I'll have a big group of tasters for all my future baking endeavors!!

No comments: