Monday, April 12, 2010

My New Favorite Sushi Place

I really enjoy sushi. But I don't like seafood much at all, and I certainly don't like raw fish. So what do I eat when I go to a sushi place, you ask? Well, I always get vegetarian sushi. And vegetarian sushi varies pretty widely in quality and taste. I have to be honest, the veggie sushi at this new place didn't blow me away, and they didn't have a lot of choices. BUT, it was pretty tasty, and they had so many non-sushi options to go with it. I'm talking, of course, about Sushi-Do in Troy.

For example, I ordered a side of fried rice, which turned out to be MASSIVE, and also apparently came with miso soup? Suprise!
The first thing I loved about this sushi place was how fresh and modern and cool it was. It was relaxed, not at all intimidating, and was cafeteria style, so you ordered at the counter and they brought it out to you. They also have some pick up items in the cooler, and some retail sugary snacks from Japan.
What I also loved was that my take out sushi came with this awesome soy sauce tray!! That's what I hate about take out sushi usually. You either have to find a little dish to hold your soy sauce (I don't own any of these! c'mon! I'm poor), or you have to squirt it all over your sushi. So I was super jazzed to get this little dish. So jazzed I saved it in case I get sushi someplace else, or I get it at Sushi-Do again, and they forget.
Finally, I loved the fried rice beyond words. It had plenty of sauce, it wasn't clumpy or dry, and it tasted fresh, not like week old rice dredged in oil and some leftover veggies. It was so bright and full of flavor. I will definitely be going back for some more of this fried rice.

No comments: