Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Guaranteed Sugar Coma

 
Oh hello beautiful.You look so happy there, waiting to be baked into delicious wonderfulness.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you baked frosting? I never really did, I just thought it would turn into a charred mess. However, I stumbled upon a recipe for Chocolate Puddle Cookies on 101 Cookbooks. It looked pretty good. Then I saw some Chocolate Chewies at Whole Foods, and they looked sickly fabulous, and the ingredients were the exact same! 

So, as part of my Epic Hump Day (4/28/10 - this day generated numerous posts, so stay tuned), I whipped up some "Give yourself a cavity chocolate cookies." I modified 101's recipe just slightly, and it pretty much resulted in a sugar coma. I may be too old to handle the chocolatey wonderfulness of these cookies. They're the kind of cookies that only kids can really eat. They NEED some nice cold milk to go with them. Also, I recommend a detox diet of purely vegetables afterward, for at least the next 3 meals, so you don't give yourself Type 2 diabetes.

 Oh wow. Look at the batter. Basically its just frosting ingredients, plus chocolate chips, because, you know, pure sugar isn't sweet enough.

These delicious cookies are going to the bike shop workers who made my day today. The Bike Genius put sweet new tires and a chain on my bike, and tightened my aero armrest, which has been driving me nuts. And he was really nice to me, even though I'm hopeless when it comes to bikes. I think the bike shop workers think I'm mildly amusing. Also, the Token Girl at the bike shop (she is necessary because I'm pretty sure most of the guys don't talk...ever) helped me pick out a SWEET Qunitana Roo wetsuit, and then applied my wonderful team discount to full effect, so I didn't set my credit card on fire. I just singed it slightly.

So, as always, I show my appreciation with delicious baked goods. Because I really appreciate my bike shop gurus, who help me survive biking and properly equip me for tris. And, as a side note, these cookies were a SMASHING success.
Glorious.
 Give Yourself A Cavity Chocolate Cookies

4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. plus 3 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
scant 1/2 tsp kosher salt
scant 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
4 large egg whites
about 1c. chocolate chips
1 tbs vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 320 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
  2. Mix all the ingredients really well using a whisk attachment if you're using a stand mixer
  3. Place about 2 tsp. worth of batter in mounds onto the parchment paper. I guess these cookies are supposed to spread a lot, but mine didn't....go figure. When the cookies are supposed to spread, they don't, and when they're supposed to get puffy and chewy, they spread all over. Anyways, only do 6 cookies on a sheet at a time. 
  4. Bake 12-15 min. I did 12 and they were lava in the center...YUM.

No comments: